Sunday 17 June 2012

ET 1: Myself as an audience at the "Owl Creek Bridge" movie! ~

There were quite a lot of times happened to be myself as an audience to the movies I watched, as a student to the documentaries, and a learner to some performing shows in my life. Each and every time I watch, I always have felt into different kinds of experiences towards them; sometimes enjoyed, but sometimes not. Doesn't matter whether the movie is awesome that affects me to even change my life, interferes my charisma, influences my decisions or maybe just a temporary enjoyable illusion, it always affects a person's life. And that's what I am going to be writing here as an audience to the movie I watched in the film class today, named "Owl Creek Bridge" and how it affects to me and how I affect to it; vice-versa!
         The movie started with a showing of an old rail-road-bridge and the written law exclaiming any civilian to get hanged by the military troops if he interfered crossing the bridge. An occurrence of setting up to hang the man at the edge of the bridge was shown next. He was very stable at first until he started to get tied on his hands, feet and the neck, and started to sweat, being scared to die. He looked at the surroundings and closed the eyelids crying. This scene was my exciting moment while watching. It made me think so fast what would be going next; as in whether he would be rescued by someone heroic or would he really be dead and the camera show him die very clearly, would there be any blood which I am very, very scared to look at. I literally felt a little tight in my breathing seeing this scene and neck choked; just like the way he was being tied. Out of the blue, it just made me realize that knowing myself the time that I would be dead is just terrifying. Personally, I have never felt any situation like that throughout my life but if it really comes, I would not even know what I am going to do. Praying? Crying? Seeing someone I really love for the last time? But I am quite sure that would all be running swiftly inside my head. And yes, that scene was just powerful!
         The next scene of the shooting at that actor missing was found out quite funny to me. I would say it was impossible with tens of guns shooting at a single man swimming in fear. I did not realize me laughing out loud but it really was funny at least to smile at. This is because I was just an audience and I could really be laughing at him even if I wanted to. But I just thought if I were him at his situation, could I still be funny? Or the opposite? I felt quite relieved when he actually made it to escape from the death. The way the song played after he got up on the sandy beach looking around the nature and the living things showing the value of life, was just meaningful. And it was such a beautiful scene even though it was in a black-and-white.
         The last part of this Owl Creek Bridge was very, very beautiful, sad and unexpected scene to get shocked. I was even getting bored after the camera showed him running quite a long time towards his home. And it was such wonderful when his love came down from the house to welcome him and he either ran to hug her. It was just like a calm-before-the-storm to see that these were all his hallucinations in his head and he was still there on the bridge; and died just before he was about to hug her in his dreams. I gasped. With my eyes open wide. I couldn’t understand what just had happened suddenly until I found out after a few seconds. I just felt sad and sighed that it was too bad waking up from a good dream.
         This old Owl Creek Bridge was a good movie showing all the internal flux of the emotions of a person experiencing the nearest death. But I just couldn’t stand why he still get hanged just by crossing the bridge. It was just a bridge and why on earth would he be ‘interfering’ as the way it was written in law risking his life. Should not there be any guarding soldiers to make sure none of the civilians crossing the bridge? Nevertheless, it was indeed a short movie and maybe the filmmaker wanted us to wonder about the whole situation in whys. And truly, it was very powerful in a way of acting and the emotional reactions, and very powerful to be sad that I really hope not to be in that kind of state in my life.



2 comments:

  1. Your reactions to the film are quite vivid and personal. I especially found your comments about the hanging and the end of the film very strong because you described your response, both physically and intellectually. Your last paragraph is a bit confused. I don't think you asked the question "Why wasn't the bridge guarded?" That's a bit of unsuspended disbelief! You need to work on your writing. You make many small errors. 6.5/8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Mr. Rey for your comment :) I will try my best to improve my english as well and to achieve the expectations of the question next time. ^_^

    ReplyDelete